Thursday, August 16, 2012

Gardening and Frugal living- One Hundred Dollars a Month

Mavis

From the One Hundred Dollars a Month website here.


"Hi I’m Mavis, and this year, I’m on a mission to grow 2,000 pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables in my backyard.  That’s a TON of food.  Literally!

I live in high maintenance suburbia, have  a Handsome Husband, 2 teenagers, and instead of spending my money at the tanning salon or wine bar, I squirrel it away for something better.  Stamps in my passport.

Over the past 5 years, through the use of coupons, bartering, and my mad gardening skills, I’ve been able to shave a ridiculous amount of money off my family’s grocery budget in exchange to see the world.

In 2008 I spent $9,768 on groceries.  An average of $814 a month.
In 2009 I spent $7,584 on groceries.  An average of $632 a month.
In 2010 I spent $5,004 on groceries.  An average of $417 a month.
In 2011 I spent $1198.64 on groceries. An Average of just under $100 a month

We eat real food.  And so can you.  You just have to pull out a calculator and roll up your sleeves a little bit.  Saving money and gardening, are not rocket science. You just have to have discipline.
Trust me, if the pilgrims could do it, you can too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.